Windows can last for decades, but window screens are a different story. Window screens usually fail long before the windows they were installed with. They can look sloppy, no longer fit the window frame and warp and let bugs in. There are a few things that can cause window screens to warp more quickly.
Here are some common culprits of window warping:
- Wet weather. Water can weaken window frames and cause them to warp, rust, crack or otherwise breakdown. Some types of window screens, such as those with wooden or aluminum frames, are particularly susceptible to water-related warping.
- Extreme weather. Similarly, extreme weather can damage and warp window frames. Strong winds can stress and bow windows. And of course, a direct hit from a falling tree branch or blowing debris can bend your window frame.
- Pets. Pets are notoriously hard on window screens. An excited dog or cat can jump up against a screen, or on a comfortable, breezy day when the windows are open, they can lay their bodies up against a window screen, exerting pressure and causing warping.
- Children. Like pets, children are tough on screens. They push on them and lean into them, causing bowing on the screen and potential warping to the frame.
- Frequent removal. Many homeowners remove their window screens every winter and replace them in the spring. That extra handling, and the force of being removed from their tight fitting within the window frame, can cause a gentle bend in the screen frame.
- Improper repair. Often, homeowners, or even some professional screen repairers, will try to reuse screen frames when screen mesh develops holes or tears. Unfortunately, the tension caused by rescreening an old frame causes the frame to bend out of shape, making it nearly impossible to get the redone screen flush into the window frame.
Whether it’s from weather, pets, children, frequent removal, improper repair or just age, if your window screens are warped, unsightly and no longer keeping the bugs out of your home, A to Z Window Screens can help! We build custom replacement screens that will renew the look of your windows and the function of your window screens. If your children or pets are to blame for your window screen warping, we can replace your screens with stronger pet screens that will stand up to the abuse! And if you want to get more from your window screens, we can replace your ugly warped screens with solar screens that help to reduce the sun’s glare into your home, lower your home’s energy bills and increase the privacy within your home.
The fact is that your window screens will warp and sag over time. But you don’t have to let warped screens downgrade the look of your home and render your windows unusable! Call 916-408-2496 to schedule a consultation today.